This here craft is brought to you with inspiration from Mary Janes & Galoshes, probably my new favoritest crafty blog. She featured this craft back in May and I was itching to try it. Her photography is amazing too, so check her out!
So I posted a teaser picture of the before, with all my materials:
And here is the after!
How cute is that?!?
This will help me organize a corner of counter in my kitchen that accumulates junk way too regularly.
The pie tins cost a grand total of $2.50, the glass bird was $1, and the glass candlesticks were 2 for $1. OK, so I had to buy some heavy-duty glue to assemble ($4 at AC Moore) but since it was already put to use repairing a broken Polly Pocket figurine and fixing a headband, well worth it. The all-surfaces spray paint I had leftover from a shelf that I refinished (but if you had to buy it, it's around $4 a can).
To start I scrubbed everything down and wiped it all clean. Then I laid the bird and the two candlesticks in a paint tray, took them outside, and sprayed them and rolled them around until they were good and coated.
*Warning - the all surface spray paint is extremely sticky and goes EVERYWHERE. Lay whatever you're spray painting on cardboard, take it outside, and set it on grass to spray it.*
I had to repeat this step the next day to get a good even coating. The next day when everything was dry, I glued the candlestick into the bottom pie tin, glued the next pie tin to the top of that candlestick, and repeated with the next layer. Then I put a jumbo can of tomatoes in the top pie tin to weight it down, and let it dry for 24 hours. The next day I glued down the bird and again let it dry for 24 hours.
I may duplicate this with some variations to organize my jewelry, which is in a pretty broke-down jewelry case right now.
And it wasn't until I looked at the bird head-on after being spray painted that I noticed it had some serious wonk-eye going on: